- Pretzel Dough
- 100g active sourdough starter
- 255g water
- 40g honey
- 10g fine sea salt
- 500g bread flour
- Water Bath
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together the starter, water, honey, and salt with a spatula. Add the bread flour and bring the ingredients together as best as possible. The dough will be very stiff
- Place the dough hook on the mixer and mix the dough on low for 6 -7 minutes.
- Cover the bowl and let rest at room temperature for 8 - 12 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and divide it into 16 pieces.
- Working one piece at a time, roll the dough into a long rope shape and set it on a clean surface in the shape of a "U". Lift the ends of the rope and twist 2 times. Fold the twist over and press/pinch the ends of the dough. Cover and pretzels with a towel and let rise for 30-60 minutes or until puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F making sure that the oven rack is in the middle.
- Boil the water in a large pot and add 2 tablespoons baking soda and 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar.
- Boil the pretzels, 2-4 at a time, on both sides for 30 seconds each, making sure not to crowd the pot.
- Remove the pretzels and place them back on the cookie sheet. Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the pretzels at 425 degrees F for 14 - 17 minutes, or until golden brown.