Friends, I am all about easy and simple and this Homemade Hot Chocolate is just that. No more powdery packets that don’t quite dissolve. Put some real ingredients into a saucepan and you will have Homemade Hot Chocolate in minutes! It will be simple, delicious, and so much more satisfying than the store-bought stuff. Keep reading to learn how to make Hot Chocolate with Milk.
Homemade Hot Chocolate with Milk
This recipe is made with a combination of cocoa powder and chocolate chips. The cocoa powder adds the distinct “hot cocoa” flavor, and the chocolate chips melt into the mixture making this drink extra creamy, rich and luxurious. A splash of vanilla extract rounds out all that chocolaty flavor and makes this what Grand dad considers the perfect Homemade Hot Chocolate. And he is the king of Hot Chocolate!!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 cup sugar
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the milk of your choice in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Using milk instead of water, makes this hot chocolate extra creamy and flavorful. I prefer whole milk or 2% milk, but you can choose any milk that you choose (I’ve even used unsweetened almond milk).
- Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar, and heat until warm.
- Once the milk is warm, add chocolate chips, whisking until they melt into the milk.
- Add a splash of vanilla extract.
- Serve immediately, topped with your favorite garnishes: marshmallows, whipped cream, chopped chocolate, crushed candy canes or more.
One of the wonderful things about making hot chocolate from scratch is that you can make it exactly the way you want it!
- Want it extra rich? Add some half and half.
- Want it less sweet? Use bittersweet/dark chocolate chips.
- Want it healthier? Use skim milk or almond milk
- Want flavored hot chocolate? Add cinnamon, peppermint extract, a shot of espresso, or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
The options are endless!
Oh and don’t forget the marshmallows on top!
Now I am not a HUGE Hot Chocolate with Milk drinker but I do enjoy a cup every now and then. Here is a great Keto version that I will make for myself.
1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup granulated Swerve
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 oz cocoa powder
1 heaped tbsp almond butter
- Place the almond milk, cream, Swerve and cinnamon into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over a high heat (the milk will start to foam). Then, take off the heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and almond butter (plus any of the suggested extras if desired). Whisk while they are melting to combine.
- Use an immersion blender and pulse until creamy and frothy.
See that isn’t too hard is it. Simple ingredients and a few minutes, you have a delicious Hot Chocolate that is creamy and yummy!! I hope you enjoyed this How to make Hot Chocolate with Milk.
You may also enjoy these related articles:
- Sourdough Starter: How to Create and Maintain a Healthy Culture
- Water Bath Canning Pineapple Jam
- Perfect Sourdough Bread: Tips and Tricks for Achieving the Perfect Loaf
Did you enjoy this article? Want to hear more? Stay in touch! Sign up below to receive weekly tips and inspiration for your homestead.