The Christmas before my mom got really sick, she signed us up for a cookie exchange. This was something she NEVER did and was so out of character for her. She had found this Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe made with avocados and wanted to try it.
Well, she was in so much pain the night before the exchange that she wasn’t able to help me make the cookie but was the best “backseat” baker (from the couch mind you).
Over the past few years I have made them my own and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Avocados have become a must have!! They are a family tradition and something we look forward to each year!!
- ½ C Butter Softened
- 1 Avocado peeled and mashed
- ½ C Brown Sugar
- ½ C White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 C Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 C rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 12 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ C shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Beat butter until smooth, add in brown and white sugar and beat for at least 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Gently fold in avocado.
4. Add egg and vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
5. Sift flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and add to butter mixture and mix well.
6. Stir in oat and coconut.
7. Fold in chocolate chips.
8. Drop by the spoonful, onto parchment-lined sheets.
9. Bake 10-11 minutes until lightly golden.
These are ready right out of the oven or cooled or even frozen. My family eats them all three ways. As for the avocado---yes you read that correctly. You will never know it is in there and everyone will be shocked to find out it is an ingredient.